Monday, March 22, 2010

Easter treats.

Hey Hey Happy Monday!

Today I'm sharing with you my entry in to the Mother of the Year contest - LOL Totally kidding, but this little project I think goes above and beyond *wink* I made some little treats for the kids' church classes and now I'm going to tell you (and show you) all about them.

Purple is the classic Easter color - so I stocked up on Plum Pudding cardstock from Papertrey Ink the last couple of months I ordered.

EasterMatchbook17

And because I love Jenni Bowlin bingo cards so much, I knew I was going to be using these on whatever little project I made for Easter, so I loaded up on these as well.

EasterMatchbook16

And then I started to cut.... I have seen several tutorials out there in blogland on measurements for these little matchbooks, but my patience and skill level being what it is, I sort of merged all the tutorials in to one and made mine with as little cutting, scoring and folding as possible.

EasterMatchbook15

Cute little book; I love my little pink stapler.

EasterMatchbook14

Tedious work, I say.

EasterMatchbook13

Happy little piles of Easter goodness in the making; the patterned paper I'm using is from Pretty Pastels and Egg Hunt.

EasterMatchbook12

Alright - now you all know that I'm all about the keep-it-real, so I'm gonna give you my take on the new dies from Papertrey Ink.

EasterMatchbook11

The paper does not come out of the die. Seriously? Yeah - the paper does not come out. And when you are making 100 little eggs total, that's a colossal pain in the you-know-what.

EasterMatchbook10

So I had to get a Glue Dot and pull out each egg after it was cut. I've heard and read all over blogland different ideas for how you can get the paper out - my thing is...I shouldn't have to. It should just come out. Sorry - you know I gots mad love for Papertrey Ink products, but these dies were really frustrating for me during the making of this project.

EasterMatchbook9

They really are cute little eggs...but still.

EasterMatchbook8

100 cranks through the Big Shot later....

EasterMatchbook7

Kerri girl and Becca Lynn like it when I stitch on little things like this - so why not...I'm already hours in to this thing anyhow - ha.

EasterMatchbook6

I love these little piles...so darn ca-ute!

EasterMatchbook5

Got some texture with my stitching, now adding some dimension with a button adhered with a Glue Dot, of course. I used to glue my buttons on with Tombow - what was I thinking? Glue Dots are the way to go.

EasterMatchbook3

Of course I used my very favorite Easter sentiment from Verve.

EasterMatchbook4

My creative mess.

EasterMatchbook2

And now we're done!

EasterMatchbook1

You wanna see what I put inside of these little matchbooks? Here's where I get the extra credit on the Mother of the Year scorecard. I made candy buttons. Yup - made 'em. In these little molds.

vbuttonmoldlg

Dropped one batch on the dirty floor - I suppose Mother of the Year would have clean floors so I reckon' I just lost points.

Buttons1

Pretty pink and yellow candy buttons. I bought purple candy wafers to make too, but then I got lazy. See the little flower ones? Aren't those cute? Only got a few of them - they didn't come out of the molds so easy.

Buttons3

Cute as a.....

Buttons2

Packaged in little glassine bags, folded over and stuck inside with another Glue Dot.

Buttons6

Buttons5

The first completed pile.

Buttons4

If it weren't for the dirty kitchen floor, I just know I'd win. Ah well - maybe next year. Hope you enjoyed - I really did enjoy making these. And making candy - so easy...easy as pie...and comes out...yeah, cute as a button *giggles*

Hope your week starts off just swell!

23 comments:

Miss Molly said...

These are so stinkin' cute! And trust me - my floors look the same right now! I really love how these turned out, the stitching, the buttons, and of course the mini bingo card in Easter colors!

Dawn Easton said...

Holy cow girl, you weren't kidding when you said you had a huge project that was exciting! This rocks! Love all those elements, especially the stitching on the egg! LOL @ the paper not coming out, that would be frustrating for sure!
Your end result is AWESOME! A labour of love!!

Ryann said...

Wowee! You weren't kidding, lol. Those look fabulous and I'm sure the kids will just love them!

Lillian Child said...

These are simply ADORABLE! And love the pic of the dirty floor drop - I've been there done that so many times and it made me smile out loud. If you have any "leftovers" of this darling easter creation, I would LOVE get one from you!

Anita said...

Wowsers...that looks like a lot of work! They turned out super cute...just adorable! You're mother of the year in my book just for taking the time to make all of those...lol! :)

Heather said...

These are soooo fabulous! Your hard work definitely paid off - these are the best Easter treats ever. :D
Your floor looked fine when I was there - you might still be in the running. LOL

Courtney Baker said...

Oh my goodness you are seriously mom of the year. These are AMAZING.

Becca said...

These ARE over-the-top fabulous! You get my vote! Wow. Those turned out soooo cool. I definitely don't have the patience to run my egg through that many times! But these look fabulous.

Hannah said...

These are FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing with us!

Kerri said...

Seriously!!! Wow, woman! I am very impressed! I can't believe you even made the candy!!! I LOVE the little matchbook holders! Those totally rock, and yes, you get my vote for mother of the year, clean floors or not : )

JazzyH said...

Wow!

Laura said...

HOLY CANOLI!!! These are AWESOME Michelle; I love them. You win Mother of Year in my book. I love how you take us through all the steps. You should do that more often (if you have the time of course...LOL).

Heather P. said...

I think you've definitely got the award wrapped up! That was a *ton* of work!! They turned out awesome!

Lee Anne said...

Yep, you're Mother of the Year. I can't even enter the contest now after seeing your fabulous project! Just beautiful!

Charlene Austin said...

OMG of course you WIN!!!!!!!!

Michelle....I LOVE your blog. I love coming here to visit and have a good laugh. You kill me!! What I would do to hang out with your for just one day!! lol.

Nadine said...

Oh.My.Gosh you definitely get Mother of the Year in my book! Can you come over and be my mother too? Handmade paper holder, homemade candy buttons, AND stitched eggs. Just awesome!

Mrs. Tamashiro said...

That seriously rocks! I feel so inadequate now, debating on even making stuff for their classmates. Off to think...

Amy Kolling said...

Holy cow!!! What an awesome project!! These turned out spectacular....love the stitching on the eggs.

DiPaola Momma said...

You are SO gifted and um.. yeah I'm no longer in the running for Mother of The Year.. THANKS for that one.. geesh!

Shellie Hartsock said...

I agree with you on the egg die. However, I found that if I left the paper in it and continued cutting the next one would cut fine and it wouldn't stick. Hope that helps. Fabulous project!!!

Teresa Kline said...

and the winner is......Michelle Philippi....wow...these are so adorable...great idea....fabulous job girl! Have a wonderful weekend.

enjoy *~*

Ravengirl said...

Too cute! I'm pretty sure that the whole floor thing isn't going to hold you back! Nice job!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Mother of the year, indeed! These are fabulous! I adore the stitching on the eggs... and those candy buttons??? CA-UTE! Love your trick for getting the die cuts out. I have some Tim Holtz dies that have been driving me batty for the same reason.